DATE: September 3, 2022
VENUE: Principality Stadium (Cardiff, Wales)
COMMENTATORS: Michael Cole, Corey Graves, & Byron Saxton
VIEWING METHOD: Peacock (Live)
WWE Clash at the Castle 2022 is the company’s first big UK stadium show since SummerSlam 1992 and they roll in with a big main event as Roman Reigns tries to overcome home country advantage and successfully defend the Undisputed Universal Championship against Drew McIntyre.
- WWE UNDISPUTED UNIVERSAL CHAMPION: Roman Reigns
- RAW WOMEN’S CHAMPION: Bianca Belair
- SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S CHAMPION: Liv Morgan
- WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION: “The Ring General” Gunther
- WWE UNITED STATES CHAMPION: “The All Mighty” Bobby Lashley
- WWE UNDISPUTED TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso)
- WWE WOMEN’S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Raquel Rodriguez & Aliyah
- Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, & Asuka vs. Bayley, Dakota Kai, & Io Sky
- Gunther [c] vs. Sheamus for the WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP
- Liv Morgan [c] vs. Shayna Baszler for the SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
- Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. The Judgment Day
- Matt Riddle vs. Seth Rollins
- Roman Reigns [c] vs. Drew McIntyre for the UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
RESULTS & RATINGS
- Damage Control (Bayley, Io Sky, & Dakota Kai) defeated Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, & Asuka when Bayley pinned Belair following a moonsault from Sky (18:45) (***)
- Gunther [c] defeated Sheamus via pinfall with a lariat to retain the WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP (19:35) (****3/4)
- Liv Morgan [c] defeated Shayna Baszler via pinfall with Oblivion to retain the SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP (10:40) (**3/4)
- Edge & Rey Mysterio [w/ Dominik Mysterio] defeated Finn Balor & Damian Priest of the Judgment Day [w/ Rhea Ripley] when Edge pinned Balor following the Spear (12:36) (***)
- Seth Rollins defeated Matt Riddle via pinfall with a Curb Stomp from the middle turnbuckle (17:20) (***1/4)
- Roman Reigns [c] defeated Drew McIntyre via pinfall with a Spear to retain the UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP (30:45) (***1/2)
NOTES & HAPPENINGS
- Solo Sikoa made his main roster debut, pulling the ref out of the ring just as Drew McIntyre was about to get the victory and dropping him across the top rope, stunning McIntyre long enough for Reigns to hit a Spear and get the victory.
- Austin Theory (yes he has his full name back) attempted to cash in his Money in the Bank contract in the main event but was punched out by Tyson Fury who was sitting front row. Fury would later close the show with McIntyre by…leading the crowd in some karaoke to send the fans home happy.
- Karrion Kross and Scarlett sat in the front row for the main event as well, Kross throwing a water bottle at Drew McIntyre and opening him up to a sneak attack by Roman Reigns early in the contest.
- Dominik Mysterio turned on his father Rey Mysterio and Edge after their win over The Judgment Day, kicking Edge in the jewels and laying out his father with a lariat while The Judgment Day laughed and applauded. Dominik left the ring and ripped his shirt off, signifying the end of his partnership with his father.
- Imperium reunited on tonight’s show, with Fabian Aichner rejoining Gunther and Ludwig Kaiser under his NXT 2.0 rebrand name Giovanni Vinci.
- British wrestling legend “Exotic” Adrian Street and wife/valet Miss Linda were given a special acknowledgement during the show. Not much of a happening but I thought it was cool to see them.
- Bret Hart was in the crowd to celebrate the 30th anniversary of SummerSlam 1992.
- Madcap Moss & The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) defeated Austin Theory & Alpha Academy (Chad Gable & Otis) during the Kickoff show.